We all hear different ways to thaw certain foods correctly, which are true? Which are not? With the holidays coming up, I thought this was a must to share.
Some more Do’s on Defrosting-
- Defrost food in the refrigerator. This is the safest method for all foods.
- Thaw meat or poultry in airtight containers/packaging in cold water if you need to use them immediately Be sure to change the water every 30 minutes or so. This is how I thaw my turkey each year!
- Defrost food in the microwave only if you are going to cook it immediately.
Major No’s of Defrosting
- Never defrost food at room temperature. This is when having a meat thermometer helps, unsafe temps are between 40°F and 140°F. Bacteria can multiply rapidly between 40°F and 140°F.
- Don’t defrost food in hot water
Click here for some facts about keeping your food safe!