Getting Ladybugs into the Garden

Ladybugs are everywhere in my garden this year. Don’t normally have trouble with keeping them in the garden but there are many who wish to see these dazzling ruby bugs in the garden. Why? Ladybugs are very helpful at getting rid of other pests such as aphids, mites and scale. If you have a vegetable garden you really want these pests out of the way, so attracting ladybugs is a must.

An easy way to get ladybugs into the garden is with plants itself- Ladybugs love cilantro, bug after my own heart can’t live without cilantro! They are really attracted to this plant so places a few through the garden can help keep the bugs within your yard.

Other plants the Ladybugs love are :

• Sweet Alyssum
  • Dandelion– Please do not call this a weed! Remember my other posts about these amazing flowers!
  • Wild Mustard
  • Statice
  • Dill
  • Caledula
  • Feverfew
  • Cosmo
  • Marigold
  • Chives
I’m sure there are more but these are what I know off the top of my head. A sure fire way to get them into the garden and this I must thank my kids for- Raisins. My kids eat their snack outside and drop a few raisins around ( not on purpose) but Ladybugs love them! Grab a handfuls toss it out the window to the yard. Easy , but there’s no reason not to plant some ladybug friendly plants that will keep them in the garden each year. Most of the plants listed above really are easy to care for, half of them reseed so you don’t have to do much of anything.
Enjoy your weekend!

22 thoughts on “Getting Ladybugs into the Garden

1. Amberlee

We don't really have a garden, but my girls love to watch ladybugs. I will have to try some of these out and see if I can get anymore to visit this year! Thanks for the tips!

2. Nicole A.

I ran out of my slug repellent so a lot of my flowers are getting eaten right now. πŸ™ I don't think I've seen too many ladybugs out here in SoCal.

• mburbage@sbcglobal.net Post author

Get a little jar or cup of cornmeal and set it down sideways so slugs can crawl in. Slugs LOVE cornmeal but it kills them. Also you can put a pie pan of beer out in the yard for them, they will get drunk and die off.

3. Lawna Noe

Growing up, we always had field both in front and in back of our house. Tall weeds grew and we could always find a bunch of lady bugs on them. Oh, how I remember those days! Back when, kids actually went outside to play, instead of being stuck on screens all the time.

4. Sarah-Louise Bailey

My parents have a plant in there front garden that the ladybirds love – they hate it as it grows madly every year and blocks some of the view out the drive but they daren't dig up as the ladybirds love it so much lol x

5. Marielle Altenor

This is quite interesting post! I did not know how beneficial lady bugs were to plants. I remember I went to a apple farm last year and we were getting attacked by them (there were so many lol). I was told that lady bugs are good luck though!!

6. Pam

Who doesn't love a ladybug. I was aware that they are very helpful to the garden. I always feel lucky after a ladybug lands on me. πŸ˜‰

7. mail4rosey

Every year we get tons of these when Spring hits. And I mean tons. They end up in the house, on the windows, etc. I didn't know they were good for the garden…I'll remember that this year when I'm wondering why so many of them are around. πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚