Pico de Gallo is right there with salsa for me, I pretty much could eat it right out of the jar, doesn’t matter if I even have something to eat it with, it’s just that
good addicting. Besides it’s nice fresh taste, it’s super easy and quick to make. If you’ve never tried it, it’s made from tomatoes, onions, jalapeno’s and cilantro, salt and lime. That’s it, not much right? I don’t always add lime and rarely add salt which makes it not authentic at all, but that’s just me.
Pica de Gallo is a Mexican “uncooked salad” , it’s usually given to you in a little cup along side your meal at a Mexican restaurant but I kinda of eat it by the jar, I admit this with no shame what so ever! One of my favorite ways to enjoy it is on top of a thin piece of toast and melted fresh mozzarella topped with Pica de Gallo- so good!
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper- or a full one if your feeling saucy , seeded and chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh cilantro
- small lime
- *optional salt
- *optional 1 garlic glove minced
- *optional pepper to taste
- Combine all the ingredients together in a small bowl, and squeeze the lime over top. Mix it up and chill for about 30 minutes. If you are adding in the garlic do it with the other ingredients, when adding salt less is more, taste then season
- Make it even quicker by adding one ingredient at a time into a food processor , then just chill in the bowl for use later. This is great for salads, topping tacos, dips, eggs, just snacking with chips, and even many rice dishes.