Soup Season is here for awhile, while the East seems to be feeling a little warmer than normal this time of year , here on the West coast it’s nice and chilly, or I should say chilly and gloomy.
We aren’t getting the rain like we need still, but snowfall in the mountains actaully contributes to some of the years water as it melts during the spring. Better than nothing of course, but hopefully instead of just dark and gloomy days, the weather drops rain on us as well. Otherwise , bring on the sun! No, seriously bring on the rain we can’t repeat another disastrous fire season as the last!
Soups, let get to it. Everyone knows chicken noodle, rice, beef stew, an array of vegetable soups, minestrone, the list goes on. One soup though, I have never made until this week was Clam chowder, or is that really a soup? The differences between soup and chowder aren’t much it seems, did you know Chowder came from a french word, which was the named by fisherman in which consisted of the days catch cooked with other rooted vegetables? Chowder is rich and creamy, with chunks of vegetables. This describes a bundle of soups as it is, I make mine rich and creamy, yet soup/chowder. Which is it?
Who knows, in other words I have no idea what the difference is between the two , so today’s “soup” is Clam Chowder.
- 1 cup chopped cooked bacon
- 1 cup onions diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 4 cups milk
- 1lb potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/4 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped clams ( canned)
- In a large pot add diced bacon and cook until crispy. Once it's done trasnfer to paper towel and rack to cool and drain. You want a little bacon grease left in the pan, if it's too much take some out and set aside.
- Keeping on medium heat, add onion, celery and garlic, and cook until celery is soft and onion is nearly see through. Sprinkle in the cornstarch and stir till well mixed. Add in everything up until the clams and cook until it reaches a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. When the potatoes are soft stir in the clams and cook for another 15 minutes.
- You can cook this in a slow cooker, cook the bacon in the pan, then onions celery and garlic. Simply throw it all into the slower cooker, cook on meduim for 4 hours Check the potatoes in the last hour, if soft add in the clams and finish out 30 minutes - or turn to low for the hour. My cooker runs hot so time may vary.