Quick breads are always one of my favorite breads to serve the kids. While a loaf disappears in under an hour it makes a great snack and even sweet treat for them. Not only does it keep them satisfied there’s so many different flavor combinations and varieties of quick bread you really have an limitless bread. The other great thing about most quick breads is , as easy as they are to make you can make several loaves at once when you have an overload of the main ingredient, say apples, banana’s or zucchini. The quick breads can be frozen after they completely cool and you’ll always have a back up when you need it!
Adding apples to the classic banana bread adds a little extra flavor and with less sugar you can fully enjoy this treat whenever you want, whether a quick morning pick me up or an after school snack for the kids. You can chop the apples in small cubes, but I find shredding it works better most times.
- 2 apples
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 over ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven 350F
- Peel, core and shred apples in a food processor.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar and oil until well blended. Mash bananas in with the sugar and oil mixture then stir in egg whites, apples, and vanilla until combined. Add the wet mixture into the dry and mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into a prepared loaf pan and bake 55 - 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool at least 5 minutes before removing loaf from pan. Serve warm or cool.
- * You can freeze this bread, let the bread cool completely , wrap in plastic wrap then seal in a ziplock bag air tight.