Summer is almost over and the same old snacks can be getting boring for the kids, so on with the need for a quick homemade snack to win them over. Muffins are always a win, and they are quick as well. Just like granola bars, muffins are very versatile, with a little adjustment different ingredient here and there it’s a new variety that the kids can enjoy.
With tart cranberries and the sweetness of both apples and applesauce you have a well balanced muffin to tide the family over until dinner. If there’s any left overs- you’d be lucky if you do!- you can put them in the fridge in zip lock bags so the kids can grab these whenever they want. These would be great within lunch boxes or for an on the go morning pick me up if needed.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 apple grated
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a large mixing bowl, all the dry ingredients together. Make a small well within the center and add in the wet ingredients, mix until well combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups, filling almost to the top adding a sprinkle of oats if desired.
- Bake muffins for about 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack before eating.