Always in need of a good soup recipe this one is a keeper . It doesn’t take much time to prep or even cook, so dinner can be done under 2 hours. While it seems like a lot of time most the work is all in browning beef and chopping vegetables. Incredibly easy to make, if you really are short on time, simply brown the beef and toss everything into the slow cooker and be done with it. Depending on your slow cooker times may vary, but low is mostly 6 hours, medium 4 hours, and if you have high it may only take 2.
This Italian Vegetable Beef Soup is nicely balanced, hearty and flavorful. While some beef soups taste of solely beef, this has a nice equal taste of all the vegetables while the beef doesn’t over power it. You can serve this with nice warm bread or even over rice if desired. I bet wide egg noodles would work in a pinch too if you liked, haven’t tried that myself , the kids themselves always enjoy eating this soup with some fresh baked bread.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cups sliced carrots
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups collards ( or kale chopped)
- 2 cups mushrooms
- (1) 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
- (1) 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- (1) 14-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups roughly chopped, cabbage
- In a large pot, brown beef over medium high heat with garlic and onion. Once it's browned add in the carrots, celery, water and broth to the pot. Add in the rest of the ingredients and , stir and cover, cooking until it starts to boil. Once it hits a boil, lower heat to simmer, cook uncovered for about 25-30 minutes or until the carrots are tender.