My Mother always made these amazing drop donuts, I’ve been making them for years and they are always a hit with the kids. It’s this big massive rounded yeast dough, you snatch a piece off and just carefully drop it into oil one by one. The kids always like watching them pop over when one side finishes cooking, but it was still a couple hours before anyone could ever enjoy the donuts.
No one likes to wait for the donuts, so while I absolutely love the drop donuts, sometimes the amount of time to make it just isn’t in the cards.
It’s time to break out the donut pans!
Baked donuts take away a lot of the wait, about 98% of it! In under 20 minutes you could be biting into a light fluffy donut with your choice of glazes or toppings. I love how they taste, they are not dense, but light and really go well with many coatings. I keep it simple with vanilla and chocolate glaze. This recipe makes 12.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 large egg
- 2 TBSP oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray donut pans with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. Mix together your dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside. Whisk together all your wet ingredients until combined and then slowly add into the dry ingredients. Mix until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Using either a pastry bag or ziploc bag pour batter in and then snip the corner/end Pipe the batter into the prepared pans filling about 2/3 full. Bake about 8-9 minutes or until the edges the dough is risen and set. You can see the tips of the corners getting golden brown around the edges, that's when they are done. Cool for about 10 minutes and then start topping your donuts!
- I dipped the donuts into the glazes then let them sit on the wire racks till they stopped dripping.
- Vanilla Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla.
- Whisk together until smooth.
- For chocolate glaze use the same recipe but add in about 4 tablespoons of chocolate cocoa powder. Whisk carefully until smooth.