White Beans with Spinach & Sausage

This is such an easy recipe to put together. My kids can and have eaten this as a meal if I add sausage to it, but in most cases I do not add anything but vegetables from the garden. Instead of Spinach if I have mustard greens, kale or even collards (left overs or baby collards( you can switch it up however you like. You can also use any tomatoes you have on hand, my favorite to use are grape or cherry as they add a sweet flavor to this dish.
  I rarely use canned beans, since I grow my own and or use dried beans. How I do it? Always soak over night then cook in the morning. These white cannellini beans are small and can cook up within an hour or two depending on your heat. My suggestion if using dry is to soak over night rinse in the morning. Cook in left over broth  or plain water seasoned with pepper. Cook for about an hour and  half on medium low then set aside to cool. There really shouldn’t be any left over liquid in there but if there is use or discard it’s up to you. When it comes time to cook your dinner you can simply add all the ingredients to you beans and it will cook up quicker as the beans are already tender.

Ingredients
3/4 pound kielbasa (turkey or chicken work great if you don’t’ want to use beef!)
2 cups chicken broth (vegetable broth works great in a pinch as well!)
2 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups Cannellini beans (you can use canned if needed make sure you rinse them as well)* see my suggestion above if using dry beans
Two medium sized tomatoes diced up really small, it should come to about 1 cup or more
6 cups baby spinach leaves
Freshly cracked pepper to taste

Directions

• If using dry beans, soak over night in hot water with lid on. A trick- boil water, pour beans in , cover with lid let it sit. In the morning, rinse out then head on to the next step.

Sausage– I cook the sausage in a cast iron skillet before adding to the beans. I like to sear it well on the sides then cut it up ( if using sausage links). Once it’s all cooked I add it along with whatever juice/grease that the sausage made from the pan and add it into the beans. If you cook in anything other than a cast iron skillet a little oil would help in the pan but I never add anything in the cast iron .  ***

• Pour chicken broth and garlic into a large pot. Place on medium high heat and bring to a simmer. Add in the oil and oregano then beans. Stir it up before adding in tomatoes. Heat through till the beans are tender. It takes about an hour or more depending on heat variation.  If using canned it won’t take long at all. Once beans are tender add in the spinach and cook just until the leaves are wilted. Stir it in and sprinkle cracked pepper on top.

Simple dish you can dress up or dress down. I like serving this along side ribs, or any BBQ dish. I also mash up the beans that are left over and make quesadillas out of them, perfect for lunch time.

Slow-cooker directions, Follow everything above but instead of a pot put it all into the slow-cooker. Cook sausage in a pan still, you want that nice flavor from the sear. . These small beans are small and will turn to mash for any longer than 4 hours. ( my slow cooker even on low runs hot)  Low, 4hrs or until beans are tender. Add in the greens at the end.

I also cook this without Sausage and it tastes just as good but my kids enjoy it more with the meat

Enjoy!

109 thoughts on “White Beans with Spinach & Sausage

1. Anonymous

My family absolutely loved this. I modified the recipe as I have 3 big boys I had to feed. I added 2lbs of Polska Kielbasa instead of 3/4, used Garbanzo instead of cannellini, doubled the garlic and used beef broth instead of chicken. They enjoyed it so much they all requested it to be doubled do they can tske it to work/school. I give this recipe 5 stars!

2. Sara

Just finished eating this for dinner! We used Trader's Joe's Spinach and Fontina Chicken Sausage and added parmesean cheese on top. Delicious! Thank you! We really enjoyed it and found it quite filling!

• mburbage@sbcglobal.net Post author

I used to have a Pin Button but it messed everything up, you can add add in the PInterest app for Chrome though so whatever webpage you are on you are just a click away from adding it onto your Pin boards

• Bea Cook

raisnarizona, This is where l got MelanieB. Recipe at was on Pinerest as soon as I saw it I knew l would like it I have made it twice, her way the 1st time my way 2nd time my children wants me to make it again but the 1st time way (MelanieB`s way) I told them for New Years Day and l would fix the Blackeye Peas on the side got to have them no matter what ! lol God Bless, auntbea (Maryland)

3. Anonymous

You don't mention how you add or cook the sausage…do you saute it first and then just add it at the end, or does it cook in with the soup. Sorry if I missed something…
    Looks good!

• mburbage@sbcglobal.net Post author

Sausage- I cook the sausage in a cast iron skillet before adding to the beans. I like to sear it well on teh sides then cut it up ( if using sausage links). Once it's all cooked I add it along with whatever juice/grease that the sausage made from the pan and add it into the beans. If you cook in anything other than a cast iron skillet a little oil would help in the pan but I never add anything in the cast iron

• auntbea09

I made your Recipe and it was Delish !!! My family loved it !!! Then the next time l maded it l used Great Northern Beans l add with your recipe a little onion,celery, dice carrots,small red potatoes and at the end I made some small drop dumplings and dropped into the pot of beans covered and simmer for about 30minutes. I never stir my dumplins l pick the pot up a little way from the burner and shake very lightly or my husband will I have parkinson`s and afraid to do it now. I also put those wire rings under my pot to keep from burning when l first time l made yours l used a 8qt crock pot !!! Thank you for recipe it gave me a few tips!!! auntbea (from Maryland)

4. The Christians

This was amazing!!! I used beef bone broth I had made this weekend to stave off a cold and it was perfect for this recipe! Great comfort food on a rainy weekend. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

• MelanieMelanie Post author

Slow-cooker directions, Follow everything above but instead of a pot put it all into the slow-cooker. Cook sausage in a pan still, you want that nice flavor from the sear. . These small beans will turn to mash for any longer than 4 hours. ( my slow cooker even on low runs hot maybe some won’t be) Low, 4hrs or until beans are tender. Add in the greens at the end.

5. Cheryl

Made this tonight with garlic and herb sausage and used sundried tomato in place of fresh. It was AWESOME! This will become a fall/winter staple for sure!

• mburbage@sbcglobal.net Post author

Sausage- I cook the sausage in a cast iron skillet before adding to the beans. I like to sear it well on the sides then cut it up ( if using sausage links). Once it's all cooked I add it along with whatever juice/grease that the sausage made from the pan and add it into the beans. If you cook in anything other than a cast iron skillet a little oil would help in the pan but I never add anything in the cast iron . sorry it wasn't added earlier been without a computer for a bit

6. Origami Angel

Thank you so much for sharing this simple recipe! So delicious and comforting on a cold winter night. After I added the sausage to the pot, I threw my spinach into the cast iron skillet to saute with the juices and oil left behind (I used coconut oil). The spinach sucked up all the juices and cleaned my skillet!

7. Anonymous

I was disappointed in the outcome .I found it to be quite bland although I see others tweaked the recipe. I might try again using Italian sausage and Sun dried tomatoes

8. Colleen Herrera

Made this last night…kind of. I doubled it. I cooked two kielbasa rings (probably could have used 3), then added two diced onions, oregano, salt and pepper…cooked until the onions are opaque. Added 6 cans of rinsed and drained cannellini beans (I mashed one can of beans to thicken it a bit), minced garlic, and chicken broth. Heated it through and then added the diced tomatoes and two bags of spinach at the end. My husband will NOT eat spinach—ever. But he LOVED dinner last night. Even with doubling the recipe, he and my kids said there was not enough :o) It has already been added to the menu for next week again.

9. Anonymous

Made this last night. It was a great dish!! I tweeked it a little. I used hot Italian sausage and only 3 cups of spinach, which was plenty! I simmered the garlic in the broth for about 10mins, then took it out. Recipe didn't say to leave in or take out. But if you crush it, I would leave it in. If you do it whole….make sure to remove so no one eats it thinking it's a bean! Overall, great dish & well definitely make again!

10. UDmom

Are cannellini beans the same as white northern beans? I looked in three major grocery stores for dried cannellini beans with no luck. Why can't I find these??

11. Rebekah Randolph

Very yummy. I used 1 lb turkey sausage and 1 can of white beans, and put in some tomato paste in place of the diced tomatoes. I also added some caramelized red onions because I love them so much, and a splash of red wine vinegar. 🙂

12. Iris

Thanks for sharing! I made this on a rainy Sunday lunch, and found it's a real winter warmer…it filled me with so much goodness, I almost forgot about the dreary weather outside 🙂

• mburbage@sbcglobal.net Post author

Haven't tried that but I would thaw it out and drain it first, I know when using frozen spinach there's a TON of extra water with it. So thaw it, and drain before placing it in. I would love to find out how it came out!

13. Kim

Hi there! How many does this serve? I want to make it as a side dish at our "southern style wedding" and need to convert it into enough servings for 70 people!

Thanks!
    Kim

14. Crystal Mayweather

I used 2 links of turkey sausage, a tablespoon of truffle olive oil, baby kale, and purple onions. It was a hit, and I'll probably make another batch later this week now that Fall has come in Georgia! Enjoy!

15. melissa

Made this tonight. I added mushrooms and served over rice. The whole family Loved it!! This will definitely be in our regular rotation:) Thanks for posting!

16. Andrea Stewart

I am always looking for new recipes to try. My favorite ones, like this, are budget friendly! I made this today. I did a few variations. First, I chopped an onion and the garlic and I sautéed that in the pot using olive oil. Then, I sprinkled in some salt and pepper and added two bay leaves. When the onion became soft, I added in a box (4 cups) of chicken broth. Then I added two rinsed cans of Canellini beans. In addition to the oregano, I sprinkled in some parsley and a dash of white pepper. Then I added in two browned kielbasas. I bought a prepackaged ten ounce bag of fresh, washed and ready to eat spinach from Kroger. I kept adding it in until it looked like I had enough. I knew it would eventually cook down. It ended up being about half the bag. This turned out delicious! Very healthy. Good source of protein, and filling. Can't wait to make this again and experiment with a new variety of veggies. I did not add any tomatoes, but I am wondering if anyone has tried adding canned, diced?

• MelanieMelanie Post author

I have used diced canned before, fresh is better in my opinion but canned works in a pinch!

17. Anonymous

awesome recipe! Thank you for sharing it! I used canned beans and petite diced canned tomatoes (I'm a guy, so…), should have drained the tomatoes. But besides a little more liquid it turned out delicious! Definitely a keeper and a quick go to dinner card! 🙂

18. Andrea Magee

Made this today and it is AMAZING!!! I used canned Cannellini beans x2 and added onions. I was out of oregano so I subbed it with Italian Seasoning. I also used canned Rotel Diced tomatoes. SUPER EASY and DELICIOUS, definitely will be making this again!!!

• Kath

I was just wondering if you could use Rotel tomatoes. Also thinking I could use the latest craze in 2016- chopped salad with sweet kale(and a few other chopped salad ingredients like carrots, cabbage and other greens, since I have a half bag I think I’ll try it!

19. Truly Blessed

Delicous! I substituted 1/2 can of Rotel tomatoes with green chillies instead of the fresh tomatoes, and added some chopped up scallions that desperately needed to be used. Everyone loved it, even my 8 & 9 year olds! Definitely will be making this again!

20. Jennifer

Just made it this evening for the first time. AMAZING! My daughter (who is a very picky eater) devoured it! So delicious and filling!!

21. Pingback: Sausage and Cannellini Bean Stew with Spinach and Tomatoes | sweet ravioli!

22. Pingback: White Beans with Spinach and Sausage

23. Pingback: White Beans with Spinach & Sausage | Food Recipe Center

24. Edyta

I just made this dish. I couldn’t find dry cannellini beans, so I used organic canned cannellini beans. Added some bay leaves and allspice. I used fresh hot links made on a smoker. Turned out great! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

25. megan

Just made this for dinner and it was a huge hit. I have picky eaters and after reading all the reviews I thought I would try but was sure someone at the table would refuse to eat. I was shocked cause everyone asked for this ti be added to the favorite list.

26. Vicky

could you tell me how many servings, I am on Weight Watchers and this recipe sounds so perfect, I want to try it. Thank you

27. Pingback: I Am the Champion! (Of Sausage, Beans, and Spinach) | iampinderella

28. Pingback: White Bean, Spinach & Kielbasa Soup

29. Pingback: White Bean, Spinach & Kielbasa Soup

30. Pingback: Meal Prep | Running Start Fitness

31. Connie H.

Hi! This recipe sounds yummy! I do not have the white beans; however, I do have a can of black-eyed peas. Could that work, as well? I have everything else. (I’m at home, sick with a bad cold, and don’t feel like getting out in this bad weather.) please let me know. Thanks!

• MelanieMelanie Post author

Oh I don’t know, black eyed beans have a different flavor, any white beans would work in this, black not so much. 🙁 Not sure this would taste so good with black beans

• Connie H.

It’s not black beans in question, it’s black-eyed peas. I guess the only way to know how it would taste is to try it, or just wait until I felt like going to the store and buy white beans. I’ll let you how it turned out, if I try it w/the peas.

• MelanieMelanie Post author

I call them beans cause peas is miss leading, black eye peas are actaully beans. Sorry about that ! haha Try it, see how it works!

32. Patrica Hand

I am using canned beans so do I still use the chicken/beef broth and cook the canned beans in this liquid? also are the canned beans hard as in uncooked?
    Thanks so much
    making it tonight

• MelanieMelanie Post author

I have no idea what liquid is in with the black eyed peas, I always rinse any canned beans ( unless it’s in a tomato juice) Drain and use broth! Or if you have the broth cubes? You can use that with water according to directions!

• MelanieMelanie Post author

Yes you can used canned! It will create extra juice but that’s not a big deal. Sorry for the delay , took a break for holidays!

33. Donna

I made this using kielbasa, 2 cans of cannellini beans, one can of diced tomatoes (drained) and kale (frozen after I purchased it fresh). Next time, I will try chicken sausage and spinach as well. I served this over brown rice. Thanks for the recipe!

• MelanieMelanie Post author

Oh how did the frozen turn out? This I have never tried. And rice, YUM! Such a great addition! Thanks so much for updating!

34. Annie

Found this on Pinterest. I doubled the sausage, oregano, and garlic, added another cup or so of beans, and more broth to make it into a soup. It was very tasty!

35. Pingback: Is Nesting in the Kitchen a Thing? | tcrunninglately

36. Amy

Recipe calls for 2 cups of beans, is that 2 cups of cooked or dry? I assumed cooked since it said canned so I used 3/4 cup dry. Mine is looking soupy, did I do this wrong?

Thanks
    Amy

• MelanieMelanie Post author

Yes it is cooked beans!! sometimes it can be soupy, elevations change so sometimes it can be soupy others not, you can thicken it up if it is your wish with cornstarch or flour

• Cathy

That answered my question as mine is very soupy. Made it today for dinner this evening. I thought it would be more of a side/main dish type of a meal. I will try thickener.

37. Jenny

Just made this and it is delicious! Followed your recipe exactly (used canned beans) and the flavor is wonderful! Definitely adding it to my rotation.

38. Danielle Goodrich

This was fantastic! I am doing the Whole Life Challenge. To make it compliant I used Billinski’s organic chicken sausage, Cajun. I cooked it in the crock-pot for 31/2 hours then added the spinach. It was soupy but was wonderful!

39. Pingback: Healthy Recipe Round Up Jan 31st-Feb 6th – Carleigh's Five Cents

40. Pingback: Recipe Round up Feb 7th-Feb 13th – Carleigh's Five Cents

41. Pingback: Winter Recipes | Teacher Goes Back to School

42. Monica

This was great! I used canned beans and it whipped up so fast! I chopped up venison brats I had sauted and used some baby kale I found on clearance. It was like Italian beanie weanies! We topped with Parmesan cheese and it was awesome!

43. Giselle

This is one of my favorites!!! I have used northern beans and cannellini beans in the past, doesn’t matter it is good. I also use Aldi’s Spinach & Feta Chicken Sausage. This is a comfort dish my husband and I enjoy.

44. Susan

OMG! I just noticed your bowl! I have the same beautiful china! I got it 40-50 years ago!! I’ve never seen it anywhere. I got mine with of all things, S & H green stamps!