What better way to enjoy a Friday than with a sweet warm coffee cake with the kids after school is over? With the first full week of school over we are getting back into the swing of things for the school year. Between supplies and lunches and that dreaded “lost library book” fiasco we can all use a sweet treat once in awhile. Coffee cake is always easy to make, even better when it cooks quick- less time for everyone to wait around for that tasty first warm bite! This coffee cake uses the sweet taste of apples to bump up the ordinary cake, top it with the cinnamon and fresh from the oven you can enjoy this whether snack or dessert!
Pretty basic yet it’s also versatile, if you don’t have apples on hand, peaches, even pears would work! You can’t go wrong with this simple, quick and tasty cake.
- 8 tablepons butter
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 large apples chopped into small squares
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Set aside. Place sugar and the butter in a mixing bowl and beat until fluffy. Add in the eggs , milk and vanilla mixing well. Add in the flour mixture slowly incorporating until all is combined. Fold in the apples and spoon batter into a prepared pan ( 9 inch round cake pan) Sprinkle mixture with a cinnamon topping- 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean in center
- * I didn't peel the apples but most people prefer to peel